Pages

Thursday 29 January 2015

Living With Bipolar Disorder...

No, I don't have Bipolar myself but I still live with it on a daily basis. My mum has the disorder and it's definitely not easy to be around some of the time. My mum has Dysphoric Bipolar Disorder which means that she has depressive episodes which are brought on by her mania. 

This is a different type of Bipolar as the most common type involves the individual to be experiencing depressive symptoms most of the time (low mood, lack of motivation, fatigue) and then experiencing a manic episode all of a sudden for a short period of time (increased level of energy, hypersomnia, increase in productivity).

But with my mum she is predominantly manic and then goes through a sudden stage of being severely depressed. When she is manic (which is most of the time) she shops several times a day, every single day; our house is full to the brim with food, "inspirational" quotes on the wall, ornaments, fairy lights and other things that we have no room for. You're probably thinking "why is having a house full of food a problem, surely that's a good thing?" Yeah, it is a good thing, we would never go hungry, for sure, but when the cupboards are that full that every time you open it, things fall out on top of you. Or every time you open the freezer, you have to put a chair against it to keep it shut, that's when it becomes a problem.  

She is very unreasonable sometimes (most of the time) because her mind doesn't work in the same way and she perceives and interprets situations differently to how we would. It's also hard to reason with her about normal things; because she'll see it in a completely different way. 

She's always been a good mum. We have always had anything we needed and wanted and we've always been loved. I know that a lot of people with this disorder are sectioned and their children get put into care so we're definitely lucky. My life could be a lot different if she wasn't the way she is and i probably wouldn't be interested in psychology if it wasn't for her. 

I'm not sure what the point in posting this was but I wanted to get it off my chest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment