Pages

Sunday 25 January 2015

The Past Few Weeks

I've had such a busy few weeks that I haven't had chance to do anything! I started my first university placement which was very nerveracking but I survived the two weeks and will be there every Wednesday for a month before started seven weeks at my next placement. 


My placement involves intervention groups which are run on a daily basis for older adults whom have an early onset of dementia. Memory management, cognitive stimulation therapy and self memory management groups are run and are designed to help older adults manage and accept their diagnosis of dementia whilst learning strategies and techniques to help them as their dementia progresses. I've never really had an interest in dementia or working with older adults; my interest has always been with young adults and adults who have disorders (bipolar, personality disorder, schizophrenia, addictions, eating disorders). But I have enjoyed my placement so so much and I've learnt a lot. I've recieved really positive feedback from my mentor and supervisor and reassurance that I'm going in the right direction! I'd advise anybody who wants to go into a career in psychology to volunteer or apply for work experience within the NHS; I've learnt so much is such a short space of time and have gained a lot of good contacts. 


I had to wear really boring clothes for the time I was there. The first day I got a fob which was number 23 (ooooh freakyyyy). 

After my first day, I felt really drained due to a mix up. My mentor was not aware that I would be starting placement on that day so for the whole day I was left to read through booklets which definitely was not fun. When I got home, the first thing I did was get in the bath with a lush bath bomb and lay there wallowing in self pity for a while. 



Since that first day, I have absolutely loved the whole experience. I think I have fully embraced it and took on extra responsibilities. I had to blag it a few times and pretend I knew what people were talking about when really, I had no clue! 

After a good week two weeks at placement, I decided to treat myself before going back to uni!


H&M £29.99 (I think) 



H&M £14.99 


Gym top = Tesco F&F £6 
Gym bottoms = Fabletics.co.uk £22
Trainers = Nike Free Runs 5.0 (gift from last christmas) 

I barely went to the gym whilst at placement as I felt too tired and had s lot of work to do so I did a little home workout. 



Gymshark

 
Brita filtered water bottle £12 Debenhams

Workout: 

30 second sprint and then 30 seconds rest - five times 

10 press ups 
10 burpees
10 toe touches 
15 low squats 
15 hip bridges 
10 jumps over the treadmill 
20 mountain climbers (10 each leg) 

I nearly died after doing no cardio for two weeks. I absolutely hate it! Gimme weights any day! 

Have a lovely week:)!

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading this post! It's nice to see that you are enjoying your placement and learning so much! Is your next placement doing something slightly different? I need to start doing workouts again.. I haven't done one in so long and I know it's going to hurt haha!

    I also wanted to let you know I have nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award:

    http://madmeinwonderland.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/the-versatile-award-thank-you-so-much-x.html

    Ana xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Ana, I'm glad you enjoyed reading it :)
      Yes, my next placement will be at an inpatient psychiatric hospital whereas this one has been community and office based, so i'll be seeing both sides of my future role!
      It's always hard to get back into exercising once you have a little break, but ease yourself into it slowly and you'll be fine! I ache for days!
      & thank you so much for your nomination, i'll take a look later on:)
      xxx

      Delete